Saturday, October 3, 2009

Shut-up and Listen

Day 30 reading assignment
Exodus 10:1-12:13
Matt 20:1-28
Psalm 25:1-15
Proverbs 6:6-11

Brent and I are off for a weekend of  fun.  No schedules.  Just flying by the seat of our pants.  It's late as I write this from a hotel by the sea in Newport.  It isn't often that we manage a getaway like this.  Our usual trips out of town are generally based around a job.  Brent goes off to fly a plane and I explore on my own.  Our eventual destination this weekend is The Evergreen Air Museum in McMinnville, Oregon.  The Spruce Goose is there and one of us is really excited to see it.  Nearly every trip we take centers around an airplane but at least this time he won't make a getaway in one.

It usually takes a half a day of being on the road for us to leave "home" behind and get into the spirit of a road trip.  Usually because we are mad at each other by the time we get in the car.  Brent and I are like the old television show "The Odd Couple." It centers around Oscar and Felix, two men who are roommates.  Oscar is a slob, Felix is a highly organized neat freak.  I'm Oscar.  And while my charming idiosyncricies tend to drive my 'Felix' over the edge, his indeciveness, almost more than his orderliness, clearly undoes me.  We were wondering today, how many hours/miles we have logged in twenty-six years, wandering around aimlessly repeating: "Where do you want to eat?"
"I don't know, what sounds good to you?" 

Since last Sunday, I believe it is safe to say, I have asked Brent one hundred times, "What day are we leaving?", "How long will we be gone?" and "Where are we going anyway?"  Most of the time he doesn't even say a direct "I don't know."  He just distracts me with a different question...which I immediately answer!

Evidently, according to his version of a (imaginary) conversation we had yesterday, it was determined that we had a decisive plan for hitting the road today.  I didn't get that memo and my lackadaisical approach to getting on the road this morning kind of got his hypothetical panties in a twist.  This man can say more without ever opening his mouth than anyone I have ever known.  So, not being one to be outdone with body language, we had a regular silent screaming match on.  We both got over it after a looong time and we moved on to having fun.  Finally tonight, when he was in a better mood, we had a conversation about it and we both realized we need to hone up on our communication skills.  I automatically put the blame in his court when the problem comes down to one of us not being a good listener.  It certainly isn't my fault because I am, after-all, a very good listener.  Or am I?

In Psalm 25:4 David expresses his desire for God's guidance.  In my application it says the first step to receiving God's guidance is to want  to be guided.  Which requires being in His word and constantly learning from it.  It is through these steps we will gain the wisdom to perceive God's direction for our lives.  And it takes times of being quiet and ...that's right,  listening.

Whether it is in my conversations with my husband or my prayers, I get so wrapped up prattling on or thinking about what I want to say next, I forget to be quiet (let alone courteous) and deliberately listen.  I tend to demand answers from God more than asking for direction.....I think I'll shut-up now.

3 comments:

  1. Ummmm...in your defense I was standing right there when you asked him if he wanted you to be ready before your dr's appointment so you could leave directly after and he said..."NO lets just take our time." so you aren't the only one who doesn't listen. AND you couldn't help that the dr kept you waiting an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was a perfect description of Gary and communicating. I find traveling by plane is perfect because someone else sets the exact time we are leaving and we don't have to paint the barn before we back out of the driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHA----
    Whenever we go away on a trip we BOTH get our panties bunched over last minute preparations. Could it be that we listen better with our mouths shut or is it that we each have our own expectations insofar as schedules are concerned?
    As far as seeking God's guidance---how many of us listen only for what we WANT to hear, then complain when we don't hear exactly that? You are right on about LISTENING.....

    ReplyDelete