Thursday, October 8, 2009

Cold Water

Days 33-35 reading assignment
Exodus 15:19-21:21
Matthew 22:1-23:39
Psalm 27:1-28:9
Proverbs 6:20-7:5

We have been car shopping. This is not a favorite experience of mine.  I have been dreading it because Brent has fallen hard for the new Camaro.  It's a fine car, all shiny and sleek.  But I am an old cow and old cows shouldn't drive new Camaros.  I'm sure I would look like a lower class version of a cheetah or leopard or some kind of cat- what is that term for the old woman that hooks up with the young guy?   At any rate I wasn't feeling it for the hot car idea.  I am the polar opposite of the ... Bob-cat? Jaguar? I wish I could remember which cat it is.  I am more like the "old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be."  I don't need a frump mobile but I don't need a hot rod that only comes in primary colors either.  As the new car quest continues I realize there is a much wider variety of options offered than there were when I bought my car eleven years ago.  Me oh my we Americans are in to our creature comforts aren't we?  The idea of a new car is fun and I get just as sucked in as the next guy when it comes to bells and whistles.  My husband, on the other hand, would be quite content with manual windows and transmissions....with the exception of that sparkly Camaro.  It all feels a little self-indulgent when the salesman is reading down the checklist of options and I want to say "check" to every suggestion he makes.  There is a point when finally I have to say "Whoa big pony, that's enough."

In Matthew 23:25 Jesus is addressing the teachers of religious law and those wiley Pharisees.  He refers to them as hypocrites because they are so careful to 'clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside they are filthy- full of greed and self-indulgence.'

This reminded me of a joke a friend emailed:  A man was visiting his elderly grandfather for the weekend.  He arrived at dinner time and as they sat down to eat, the younger man noticed the plate seemed filmy.  When he asked the grandpa if he had washed the dishes, the old man replied "Those plates are as clean as cold water can get them."  At lunch the next day the younger man saw bits of dried egg on the plates, obviously left over from their breakfast.  He questioned the old man again and this time Grandpa answered slightly agitated, "I told you those plates are as clean as cold-water can get them."  The man shrugged it off and finished the meal.  They were leaving to go to town when grandpa looked at the dog on the porch and said, "Cold-water, get in the truck!"

The verse in Matthew continues with Jesus instructing to first wash the inside of the dish and then the outside will become clean as well.  The application says:  Jesus condemned the Pharisees and religious leaders for outwardly appearing upright and holy but inwardly remaining full of corruption and greed (with a healthy side of self-indulgence.)  Living our Christianity merely as a show for others is like washing the outside of the cup...or letting the dog lick it clean.  When we are clean on the inside, our cleanliness on the outside won't be a sham.

It all reads differently to me as I stay in the Bible on a daily basis.  I feel like God reveals things that I previously skipped over because most of it didn't feel relevant.  I was quick to say 'that doesn't pertain to me because I don't do that.'  Now I get squidgy with words like hypocrite, greed and self-indulgent.  I am humbled on a daily basis as I trek through this journey of reading the bible in a year. But along with the humility comes encouragement and hope. And maybe I have a few more lessons to learn because right now I'm sure if I twist and manipulate, I can show Brent where the scriptures say a Camaro is a bad idea, but a bell and whistle or two on the car of my choice could be justified....<

2 comments:

  1. Cougar Cindy!! This is Erin by the way. Only way I could post was anonymous. Jerry says hi!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's "cougar" but you gotta remember girl--your man is a "pilot"--and they have special needs---one is to be married to a hottie like you and the other is to have an awesome car.
    I believe that God, in his greatness, considers pilots to be special cases because they are like romantic but needy children.....

    ReplyDelete