Saturday, September 5, 2009

Rocka bye baby

I was rocking my 8 month old grandson the other day, well technically I was wrestling him to sleep.  He loves to snuggle but he HATES to nap.  I snuggled him tightly in my arms and he didn't fight it so much.  But then his legs would fly out kicking hard away from me.  Our eyes would meet and his sweet drooly mouth would open up to smile I am addicted to.  I snugged him in tighter and lodged his legs between my own until he could not move.  I expected tears and wailing but within minutes he was sound asleep.  Not a conventional way to rock a baby but it got the job done.

This is how I picture my time with God.  There He sits, waiting, while I flit like a hummingbird from busy-ness to busy-ness.  He sits waiting, wanting to hold me, waiting to take my burdens while I dart in and out, resisting capture.  When at last I do light, I'm writhing around trying to kick my legs free.  Unlike a determined grandma, God allows us that blasted "free-will".  He won't rap His legs around my infantile behavior, but instead sets me free to flit while He resumes waiting.... for me to come back.  "Later Lord, I promise, but right now I am busy!"  If the grandkids summon me, or anyone else for that matter, I stop what I'm doing and give my (almost) full attention.  But when my Father, My God that hung His only son on a cross for MY sins, wants a moment of my precious time, I continuously leave him simmering, disappointed and heart broken, on the back burner.  I give Him the last exhausted bits of me when I'm so tired I fall asleep reading His Word.......  I'm going about this all wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment