Friday, September 11, 2009

ME ME ME ME (say it with your opera singer voice)

Day 6 reading assignment:
Gen 13:5-15:21
Matt 5:27-48
Psalm 6:1-10
Proverbs 1:29-33

My commentary today is  from Genesis... Lot was a schmuck!  He was a perfect example of the selfish little rich kid.  He skated through life on Uncle Abram's riches, doing as little as possible as a lethargic member of this very important family.  It's sad, very sad that he lost his father at a young age but he had strong and positive role models in his grandfather Terah and his uncle Abram.  Abram adopted him and  kept him safe through so many hardships and challenges.  Yet when Lot was so generously given the first choice of the land where he would live, he was a punk about it.  He took the fertile land without regard to what his uncle might want or need.  His thoughts were only for himself. What would be best for Lot?  He took the best parcel of land, forgetting, however,  the three keys to success in real estate: Location, location, location.  It seems his estate was very near a little town called Sodom.  His self-centeredness would cost him dearly.  But enough about him, let's talk about me!  Since starting this blog I find I'm on the computer several times a day when I used to go days without checking my email or anything else.  One week into it, a few nice emails and comments and I, much like creepy Lot, am all about me.  I actually 'yippeed' out loud when I saw my following of 4 had grown to 6 ( it really did make me so happy).  It's humbling to see how some nice words from some great friends have biggie sized my ego.  I have a strong aversion for self-centeredness in others.  I am sensitive to the over-use of  "I" and "me",  a red flag I notice in other people's vocabulary.  I always believed I was too full of self-loathing to ever have an ego problem .  I remember a church sermon on self-centeredness.  The pastor said, "If I took a group photo of everyone in this room right now and passed the picture around,  every one of you would immediately search the photo for your own picture."  We humans are self-centered by nature, it's a fact.  Why doesn't that make me feel better?  My intentions were pure when I embarked on this  journey.  It was to be a commitment to God first, while confronting my squirrel demons.  In just a few short days I almost turned it into a dog and pony show, strongly tempted to edit my thoughts for specific readers.  I was prepared to take God right out of my quest to read the bible.  No irony there.  I just completed Day 6 and God is 6 for 6 in revealing weak links in my character.  It's going to be a long year.

2 comments:

  1. Cindy I see that your are going to entertain me on a daily basis. You are good. Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, I look for your blog now daily, enjoying reading along everyday. I do get something out of your daily posts . Thank you for doing this. Hugs, Rene'

    ReplyDelete